Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Digital vs. Print

Digital vs. Print. Personally, mostly because I use my computer for almost everything, I would have everything school related, books and assignments, be read and done digitally.  Having everything on a computer or iDevice helps me be more organized with my work.  On my computer I put all my work in a folder on my desktop, which makes it much easier for me to access than a binder.  Also, Apple's iPad and Amazon's kindle allow people to download books and read them on a tablet device, rather than go to a bookstore and buy the actual paperback.  I find this to be very helpful because it lets you complete your work much faster by eliminating a trip to the bookstore. Also, as Dustin said in his essay, it saves paper, so as well as being helpful with organization, it also helps our environment by saving trees.  I believe taking advantage of today's technology is essential, mainly because the technology we have today can help students, like me, be more organized.

2 comments:

  1. Are we so certain digital readers are great for the environment though? Books are at the very least biodegradable, and composed of a renewable resource. With the constant tech upgrades which rule the present age, and likely will continue into the future what is going to happen to all the outmoded kindles, Ipads and android tablets? Although the Ipad may be marketed as recyclable in practice they will go straight to landfill I should think. And what of the rare earth metals needed to manufacture smart electronics? There is not an inexhaustible supply of these materials. It is possible print is greener than we've been told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a point, books are recyclable and can be trashed in a way that is beneficial for our environment. Granted, I looked into it and all of Apple's iDevices are recyclable. They actually have a very detailed program which walks you through sending your old iDevice into Apple for them to recycle. Here's a link to the page: http://www.apple.com/recycling/ipod-cell-phone/
    There are rewards for recycling it as well; 10% off a new iDevice for bringing in an old version... I'm not sure about what supplies are used to make them, but I do know that the new iPhones, desktops and laptops are made out of a environmentally safe titanium fill, however I'm not sure about their other products.

    ReplyDelete